HTML Map

2.07.2008

Cinnamon-Bacon Carbonara

First, yesterday. It was long, and tiring. I spent part of the day working with Jan to make sure that I could cover her financial duties while she is gone (she leaves again today). She is such a trooper though and got so damn much done in the three days she was here. If it is a project that Jan normally does, we are now either done with it or know exactly what we have to do to be done with it. Which is a huge relief. Also, I hate high heels... I don't understand how any woman can wear them everyday, and I regret wearing them ever. My feet still hurt today. Ugh.
BUT it was gorgeous out! Lovely, mild, high of around 65! Back to winter today, but yesterday was a nice break.


Now, on to the recipe! :-)
I originally found this recipe here, and it quickly became one of my favorites. I haven't made it too often because it isn't Trav's favorite (something about associating cinnamon with sweet that he can't get over; its not sweet in this dish, its spicy)... but damn do I love it. I normally ban Trav from the leftovers and have it for lunches for myself for the rest of the week.

This time I did actually cut down on the amount of cinnamon in it (did maybe 3/4 of the 1/4 teaspoon... just measured the right amount then tapped a bit back into the container), and Trav loved it. I'm not sure how I actually feel about this development. ;-) Honestly, I do love the original recipe better, but if I'm going to make the dish, I do want my husband to enjoy it too. And it was still damn good!!

Also, I like fettuccine better in this... but all we had was spaghetti so, spaghetti it was!



Cinnamon-Bacon Carbonara

8 slices bacon, chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups whipping cream
1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan
6 large egg yolks
18 ounces fresh fettuccine
Salt and freshly ground black pepper


1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
While you do this saute the bacon in a large frying pan over medium heat until almost crisp, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the cinnamon over the bacon and continue to saute until the bacon is crisp and golden, about 2 minutes longer. Remove pan from heat and allow to cool (but leave it all in the pan).

2. Once cooled, whisk in the cream, cheese, and yolks to blend.

3. Meanwhile, add the fettuccine and cook until it is just tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes (if fresh, longer if boxed pasta... I use boxed, it still tastes great). Drain.

4. Add the fettuccine to the sauce mixture and toss over medium-low heat until the sauce coats the pasta thickly, about 5 minutes (do not boil*). Season the pasta with a dash of salt and pepper to your liking.


*Note: it is important to keep your head at medium-low, if you see bubbling, turn it down... too high and your creamy sauce mixture because scrambled eggs.


I love this dish because it is creamy, hardy, and surprising. The first bite is really something special... the cinnamon is unexpected and adds a great spice to the dish. Give it a try, I think you will really love it. I do!


As for today... well work, of course... but also a nice lunch break with Apoc. Yay! Hopefully the day will fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!
~ Meegs